interview with BRIIAN DARGON
a little over a year ago, i met briian dargon, a very talented designing revolutionary. i remember briian coming to my house one saturday morning to present me with a hot pink neck tie with a purple 7 on it. i thought i was going to pass out. that's when it all started, briian became my personal designer. he's done quite a few pieces for me and i know that he will be doing more.
1. How long have you been designing clothing? I've been officially designing for 3 years but i started reconstructing and adding my own embellishments at the age of 8 when i use to cut off the collars of my shirts to make chinese collars. They were very popular back then but my mom wouldn't buy them for me. She had a fit,lol.
2. If you could choose 3 of the top designers to have dinner with, who would they be? The 3 designers i would choose would probably be Willi Smith (he's the first designer that i was conciously aware of as such), The 5 or 6 designers that work on Sean John's line because alot of the stuff is fly and spirited and Tommy Hilfiger because i like the clean lines and it fits my personality at times.
3. If you could choose a celebrity spokesmodel for your clothing line, who would it be and why? That's a tough one for me because i would like to think that BSIXTEE6 represents every man and there are very few celebrities that give me that but if i have to pick one, i guess i would pick Common. He seems to embody the personality that could carry off a piece of BSIXTEE6, he has a great sense of style and he wears the clothing and doesn't let the clothing wear him which i think is important.
4. What would you consider to be your biggest flaw? and why do you consider it a flaw? I don't think of myself as having flaws, i think of myself as a student who in the process of learning becomes less ignorant.
5. If you could have a menage et trois with 2 other people who would they be? Mary and Jesus because not only would i learn a new skill but i'd also be enlightened and have my soul saved. You can't beat that for a turn on.
6. What type of impact would you like for your clothing line to have and who is your primary target audience? My target audience is everyone. I think that my goal has always been to use BSIXTEE6 as a tool to enhance peoples lives. i know that may sound cliche' but what i mean by that is we depend on government agencies and organizations to do alot of things for us in terms of shelter, food, etc that we use to do for each other.
I remember growing up in a time where the neighborhood really did help raise you, everybody looked out for everybody else, when someone was hungry and didn't have food, someone would bring them food if someone was cold, someone would bring them a blanket but we've lost that. I think we've become so use to having to provide and scramble to make ends meet that we forget that we really are responsible to each other and can do more together than apart. So i say all of that to say that the one of the goals of BSIXTEE6 was to start a program where food could be delivered to those without at no charge, we would except donated clothing and new bedding to give to those in need also at no charge and also without alot of red tape or paperwork because when you're hungry or your kids are hungry or cold, you don't want to be told to come back tomorrow.
7. What is your favorite fabric? and why? Felt and Lame' are my two favorite fabrics because they come in a multitude of colors and are easy to work with and the felt washes well.
briian will be showcasing his designs on saturday, july 30th in his showroom on 14th street. if you want to get a piece of briian while he is still accessible, then you'd better be there!
B's & Buttaflies Showroom
137 W. 14st, Bell 303
Saturday, July 30th from 5PM - 10PM